Winter Gas Safety Tips
Did you know snow and ice can damage gas meters and pipes? Simply using a broom to keep gas service equipment clear during the winter can help ensure safe use of natural gas. Chimneys and vents for gas appliances should also be cleared following a major snow or ice storm to enable proper venting and prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.
Here are some more winter gas safety tips:
- Remove snow and ice from the meter or appliance vent pipe carefully with a broom. Do not use a shovel because it can damage the meter.
- Do not shovel snow up against the meter or vent pipe.
- Remove icicles from overhead eaves and gutters to assure dripping water does not splash and freeze on the meter or vent pipes.
- Do not kick your gas meter to break or clear ice.
- If you cannot safely remove the snow and ice yourself, contact a qualified roofing vendor.